Cathedral Square

The history of the Cathedral

A prominent hill, at the best spot of the city of Alexandroupolis (old name  Dedeagats) property of  the Turkish Hadji Safet Bey, was selected for the Metropolitan Cathedral of Ayios Nikolaos. The construction of the Cathedral began in 1898 and cost 25,000 Turkish liras, a massive amount of money for that period, collected through fundraising. For the design and the blueprints, great architects and technicians from Constantinople were called.

The official inauguration of the new  Metropolitan Cathedral was performed on August 4, 1901, by the Metropolitan Bishop of Enos and Traianoupolis, Germanos Theotokas. Adjacent to the Cathedral, three schools and the Hall of Metropolis were also built at the same square.