Leontaredeos Academy

On the left side of the Metropolis lays the old high school, LEONTARIDEIOS GREEK BOYS’ ACADEMY OF DEDEAGATS, a neoclassical buiding of 1909. It was donated by the merchant Antonios Leontarides and operated as a high school until 1972. Today it accommodates the Ecclesiastic Museum of the Holy Metropolis of Alexandroupolis.

The museum displays many old icons from eastern and northern Thracian churches, wooden temples, vestments of Metropolitans and historical documents of Thrace. The Art Gallery with paintings from Thracian painters and the Ecclesiastic Library operate in a separate section, contributed by the Metropolitan Bishop Mr. Anthimos.